Spending most of each day at the Market on The Wharf, I get to hear a lot of gossip. Mostly its from disgruntled traders and food vendors…they can tend to be quite a grumpy dissatisfied lot, but I do also pick up on whats trending with the tourists. Where they are planning to visit next, what they have heard about certain places etc. I suppose you could call it eavesdropping…I prefer to just think of it as keeping my finger on the pulse of our clientele. At the moment I’m hearing more and more tourists talking about their plans for Zanzibar and even getting some inquiries myself about the best Zanzibar accommodation. Like I would know ?? But I do try and help where I can, and I do know of a local company called Discover Zanzibar, that offers some really good deals.
I’m not sure if you need vaccinations and malaria shots for Zanzibar, so probably best check that out yourselves. So you have finally got your bikini body and you can’t wait to pack your bags and head to Zanzibar. There is just one problem, there are so many beaches and you not sure which one would you like to visit. So, while you worry about your bikini body, we will worry about making sure you know which beach to visit when you land.
Most of the beaches in Zanzibar also have hotels or resorts so you get to choose accommodation too! Yes, we know, we are amazing.
• Zanzibar Beach Resort: Zanzibar Beach Resort consists of beautiful a room which is exactly what you looking for when on vacation. Nobody wants to sleep in dirty sheets. Zanzibar doesn’t disappoint as it maintains good housekeeping on a daily basis. The food is also amazing and music lovers will enjoy the place as well. This beach resort has pool parties on regular occasions which are a good platform to network.
• Diamonds Mapenzi Beach: Diamond Mapenzi Beach is a great place to relax and rejuvenate. This beach has fantastic food and helpful staff who will be sure to attend to your every need. This upscale beach hotel also has specials such as free meals. The beach hotel comes with a spa which a bonus for the women who love being pampered. Diamonds Mapenzi Beach has four restaurants so you don’t have to worry about eating on the same restaurant every day. Diamonds Mapenzi knows how clients like having a variety of choices available and they definitely don’t disappoint.
• Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort: Royal Zanzibar Resort knows how customers like having a good time. The beach resort has a wide range of cocktails and alcohol which gives customers many options to choose from. This is the perfect location to unwind on all the stress from work, the kids or just life in general. We know how tough it can be. Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort is able to give you royal treatment simply because you deserve it.
• Paradise Beach Resort: The name says it all, you feel like you are in paradise when you at the Paradise Beach Resort. The staff is welcoming and there are some water activities that you can enjoy too. The Paradise Beach Resort ensures on delivering upmarket food and it doesn’t disappoint because the food on the menu tastes as good as it looks.
• Emerald Dream of Zanzibar: Emerald Dream of Zanzibar is one of the more upmarket Zanzibar Hotels. It consists of an outside pool and elegant villas that are made to give visitors an above average experience. Everybody is treated like family at the Emerald Dream of Zanzibar. The staff is always willing to help with any hiccup and make it a point that you enjoy your stay. There are also music bands that often play which is a great excuse to sing out loud. So what are you waiting for? Release your inner Tina Turner, we know it is hiding somewhere deep in your voice.
• Hideaway of Nungwi Resort and Spa: Hideaway of Nungwi Resort and Spa is an absolute dream! This resort has stylish villas and also has freebies such as free meals. If a day at the beach is not enough, you can enjoy the water sports they have. The elegant spa is good way of relaxing and massaging your body after a fun-filled day. The body needs to relax too you know. Hideaway of Nungwi Resort and Spa has an ocean like pool which will make you want to come back again. The pool is one of the resort’s highlights and we can’t blame our guests for admiring such a phenomenal creation.
I cannot begin to tell you how much time I have spent over the past few years here on the Market, chatting to tourists about our magnificent South African Wildlife. Every day I am approached by groups, families and couples wanting to find out more information on and where they can find our fantastic wild animals that are indigenous to South Africa. On a lighter note, its not a very far walk from the market until you find a fat smelly basking seal !
If you could be an animal, mammal or reptile, which one would you like to be? A dog maybe? Maybe you would want to be an elasmobranchii fish such as a shark? Maybe you just want to be a peaceful creature like a pony? A pony is definitely something I would like to be. We have made a list of some of the wildlife we have in South Africa just to give you an idea of what goes through the mind of these smart creatures.
• Elephant: An elephant is a large mammal that cannot be missed even when attempted. Big on weight and big on life, it is one of the largest creatures in South Africa and throughout the world. Elephants are fairly nice mammals that would do just about anything to save their young ones. They don’t give birth regularly like most creatures or animals, procreating every three to four years. No wonder they are so clingy to their children!
• Lion: Not called the king of the jungle for nothing, lions are eternal kings of every stage they possess. Wild at heart but tender to their queens and offspring’s, they too fight to keep their territory protected. They live in large groups called prides and this makes it easier for them to hunt. Teamwork is key when it comes to this superiority of lions because female and male lions hunt together. The rewards thereof are a mouthful because after a successful capture of a meal, all the lions dig in for a tasty treat.
• Leopard: Feisty, sass and opportunist are some of the words that come to mind when you think of a leopard. Its skin matches with the long bushes perfectly giving their prey little to no escape. A tactful animal at heart and fast on its feet, it is likely to outrun any given enemy. Being related to lions, it comes as no surprise how much of a big appetite they have.
• Buffalo: Unlike most animals that are predictable, the buffalos are not as they pose to be. Big in stature and not the friendliest, they pose danger to humans. It is wise to stay as far away as possible from this African bovine. They are not afraid of any challenge that comes their way as they can defend their territory quite well. They don’t seem to back down from a fight easily either so you might need to be geared up if you going to take a buffalo head on.
• Rhino: Can you believe that a rhinoceros is named after its nose horn? The horn is the first thing one would spot in a rhinoceros and maybe it is for that reason that they are slaughtered for their horns. It is a sad tragedy that animals have to be killed for something they have in order for people to get monetary gains out of it. The wildlife has come to an ultimate halt because of the constant tragedy that strikes them on a daily basis.
Surely this can’t be what wildlife has boiled down to. We need to take a united stand and stop the killings of rhinos and all other animals. The extinct rate keeps increasing and it is everybody’s responsibility to put a stop to it.
Life begins to be a fulfilling ride when you start helping others, animals included. The best gift is taking a stand for a good cause. Animals need protection too and if we all fight together, the benefit will be rewarding. These are precious creatures uniquely created as a marvel not as a price to be auctioned with.
Cape Town has long been praised as one of the most beautiful cities on earth, attracting tourist from near and far, but lately the words “destination location” is being thrown around for a completely different reason: The depth and diversity of the infrastructure for professional video production in Cape Town.
With big names such a Universal Studios investing in not only in our city, but our country as a whole, it gives the young and creative go-getters of South Africa the opportunity to dream bigger than ever before.
The quality of video production is on the rise and where, even a few years ago, you could easily tell a locally produced music video from an international one, I now find myself pleasantly surprised and incredibly proud, when a friend, family member, or colleague casually points out that the music video I’m currently obsessed with was produced and performed in South Africa.
Where does all the talent come from all of a sudden? Have we always had it and just needed a little bit of a nudge in the right direction, or are we making great leaps in the quality of our video productions due to more opportunities being available to learn from our overseas counter parts, now much more accessible than before? I guess, as with all things, it is a little bit of both. One thing no one can argue with, is the diversity of talented individuals exploding onto the scene. Cape Town Video Production is one such company which caters to the local South African market as well as assisting international clients with facilitating their productions while in South Africa.
Anything you can conjure up as a challenge they can materialize on the screen, whether you need a web video or are trying to put together the wedding video of your dreams, you don’t have to look further than your local video production companies. Not interested in fairy-tale weddings, but instead trying to find a better solution to train your staff or advertise your brand? Click right here, those same talented geniuses will turn your goals in to reality.
With our economy not always inspiring hope, and joblessness being at what seems to be an all-time low, we need to be motivated by passion. Passion creates drive, and drive encourages ambition and a sense of work ethic. We are continually proving to be worth the investments. The financial investments of the foreigners, who in turn are creating great job opportunities to locals, as actors, special effects artists and even caterers, as well as the investments we have made into ourselves, with time, money and emotion.
We are now in a stronger position than ever before to encourage our creative youth to chase their dreams. No longer do we have to see them settle for desk jobs, reminiscing about a time they were young and had big dreams. We can now meet up with our creative friends and acquaintances and listen in awe to their stories of creating, or helping to create the next block buster or television series.
At times the diversity of South Africa is what trips us up. Trying to find our niche in the ever changing environment of people and cultures, but that, exactly that is what makes us such a unique destination location. Not only are the people diverse, but so is the landscape. Each new place and person bring something new and unique to the table. Inspiring the next in ways they never dreamed before.
Create something today! Embrace your own creativeness or of if you need assistance in the creativeness field, you now have some of the best professional video production companies in the industry within reach.
The Victoria and Alfred Waterfront can keep you entertained and busy for hours with all the activities available. The shopping mall alone can provide you with endless hours of browsing all the latest fashion and gadgets, not to mention the glorious assortment of food available at the food court. The Two Oceans Aquarium is also a fantastic way to spend a few hours marveling at the abundant and diverse South African sea life. There are other wonderful attractions and activities to explore in Cape Town, besides the market on the wharf in the V&A Waterfront though. Here are a few of our favorite Cape Town attractions :
- Tandem Paragliding Over Cape Town :
Skywings Paragliding offers the most amazing paragliding in Cape Town experience. There is no better way to get an aerial perspective of the Mother City than by soaring high up in the clouds looking down over the city and the Atlantic Ocean. Skywings is a Cape Town paragliding company managed by Kai Duran. The company has several experienced and qualified instructors and pilots that are able to fly you safely over the city for a thrilling experience you will never forget. The Skywings team launch from Signal Hill and Lion’s Head. For more information about pricing and bookings head over to the Skywings Paragliding website.
- Table Mountain Cableway :
Without a doubt, Table Mountain is the most recognizable landmark or feature of Cape Town. The majestic mountain named aptly for its flat table top like appearance stands proudly over the city and has been named a world heritage site. The Table Mountain Cable car system runs daily up and down from the cable station at the bottom to the station at the very top of the mountain. The journey upwards takes a few minutes and the recently upgraded rotating cable cars provide a fantastic opportunity to take some really amazing photographs of the city. Once at the top of the mountain you can enjoy yourself exploring the surrounds and the diverse flora and fauna that exist. There is also a viewing point and very reasonably priced restaurant where you can quench your thirst and fill your tummy after your exploring is done.
Clifton Beach is one of the most trendy and popular beaches in Cape Town. The beach is on the Atlantic coast so the water is a little chilly but extremely refreshing a hot Cape Town summer’s day. The pristine white sands and sparkling clear turquoise waters make Clifton extremely popular with locals and tourists. The beach is actually made up of four separate beaches named Clifton first, second, third and fourth beach. Each beach seems to have a slightly different “vibe” and attracts a slightly different crowd. Overlooking the beaches, built into the steep mountain slopes are some of Cape Towns most expensive and luxurious apartments and luxury homes, many of which are owned by international movie stars and socialites.
- Cape Point Nature Reserve :
The Cape Point Nature Reserve is a must see for any tourist who is in Cape Town. The nature reserve is home to a variety of wildlife and has some beautiful unspoiled beaches. Although the Atlantic and Indian oceans converge at the very tip of the Cape peninsula in the reserve, it is not the tip of Africa as it is often mistaken for. For those looking to buy authentic African souvenirs, there is a vibrant market teaming with vendors of an assortment of African handicrafts and sculptures at the entrance gates.
The Cape Winelands are home to some of the worlds finest winefarms. For those of you who enjoy fine wines, this is an essential excursion for you ! Areas like Stellenbosch, Paarl and Franschoek are steeped in history and some of the winefarms can be dated back several hundred years. Most of them offer wine tasting and have splendid grounds for picnics as well as upmarket restaurants to cater for those that appreciate fine dining.
These are only five activities that you could enjoy whilst staying in Cape Town, but the list is much much longer. I hope to cover more of these in upcoming articles.